Pages

Friday, July 6, 2007

Relais Self-Registration & Bowker's Book Analysis System Progress

This week was a busy one for me - if you call three days a "week".

I modified the Relais ILL source code for the ILL self-registration. It employs a combination of CSS, HTML, and JSP. I am familiar with two of the three, but JSP is new to me. The college Webmaster tells me that I am on the right track, but I am not so sure. The folders were zipped and transmitted to Relais. We should know if my work was successful later this week - Relais will post the modified code to its test server. In the meantime, I will keep my fingers crossed.

My technical contact with Bowker's Book Analysis System tells me that one of the two files I uploaded was formatted correctly. Their system tells me that the files are still being processed. I suspect that something is amiss, since it has been processing a relatively small file for more than a week. I will be contacting them later today and find out if this is normal. Perhaps I did not map the categories/headings properly, but I doubt that. It is probably a case where pulling data from MARC fields was not as "clean" as either of us desired.

The Circulation Clerks finished my desired modifications to the NetLibrary holdings' URLs in the catalogue. The next step for me is to build a custom interface to search for e-books from our library pages. This is a low priority, since the OPAC can handle that chore for now.

Next week will be busy. Thankfully there will be five days to accomplish some tasks.

No comments: